Free Geek Twin Cities (FGTC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to combating the digital divide. Our mission is threefold:
- Support the responsible reuse and recycling of electronic waste
- Provide accessible technical education
- Make affordable computer hardware available to the public
FGTC sustains itself by receiving donations of used electronics. Some of these are disassembled and recycled, while others are refurbished and sold in our Thrift Store.
FGTC is looking for a Program Coordinator to act as the “area lead” of the refurbishment area and manage the refurbishment process of computers and electronics. This is an hourly paid position with a maximum of 30 hours per week. This position reports to the FGTC board.
This position requires attending regular business hours (12:00PM – 5:00PM, Wednesday – Sunday, 25 hours) with other flexible hours outside regular business hours.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ensuring the flow of computers and electronics through the refurb area (40%)
- Ensure that the store is provided with a consistent supply of refurbished computers and electronics that meet standards.
- Work with staff and volunteer teams to set acceptance standards for computers and electronics refurbished for sale.
- Ensure a sufficient supply of tested build components.
- Maintaining the refurb area (40%)
- Ensure maintenance of computer equipment in the refurb area is performed regularly, including file management
- Responsible for administrative support, including keeping the refurb space organized, clean and tracking supplies.
- Ensure process documentation is maintained and manage improvement projects.
- Volunteer organization and outreach (20%)
- Organize specialized core volunteer teams and delegate tasks volunteers in the refurb area.
- Direct interns and provide mentorship through the internship process.
- Occasionally provide instruction to volunteers throughout the refurbishment process.
- Attend staff meetings and occasionally board meetings and present on topics
- Represent FGTC at occasional external events/meetings
- Lead on special assignments as needed or assigned
A strong candidate must:
- Have a friendly, respectful and people-oriented attitude.
- Be trustworthy and have a responsible approach to sensitive materials
- Have a high capacity to collaborate, as well as the ability to exert influence with and without formal authority
- Possess strong interpersonal skills including:
- an ability to get along with people of diverse backgrounds and abilities
- making people feel welcome and included
- conflict management
- ability to set goals
- group facilitation
- Strong organizational skills including data management, report writing, record keeping
- Follow processes consistently and strive to continuously improve them
- Effective electronic and verbal communication skills
- 3+ years in a computer related field
- Basic familiarity with PC hardware and troubleshooting strategies
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience working in volunteer organizations
- Strong computer maintenance skills
- Knowledge of Linux and/or scripting
- Familiarity with the internal construction of consumer electronics and computers
- Experience working with a team, especially in a non-profit setting
- Send a resume (PDF or Word format) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Refurb Program Coordinator application” as the subject
- Cover letter is recommended, but not required.