Position filled on 10/16/2019
Free Geek Twin Cities (FGTC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to combating the digital divide. Our mission is threefold:
- Support the responsible reuse and recycling of electronic waste
- Provide accessible technical education
- Make affordable computer hardware available to the public
FGTC sustains itself by receiving donations of used electronics. Some of these are disassembled and recycled, while others are refurbished and sold in our Thrift Store.
The Store Specialist is responsible for operating our thrift store and maintaining our eBay sales operation. We need someone with an upbeat and positive attitude to assist our diverse range of customers and community members in person, on the phone, and via online communications.
This position is 30 hours a week, which includes the Free Geek Thrift Store’s open hours (from 12pm-5pm Wednesday-Sunday) and additional time for store maintenance and eBay activities.
Primary Store Responsibilities:
- Assist customers with sales, returns, and questions about products
- Ensure products are consistently stocked, priced, and effectively displayed on sales floor
- Coordinate with other staff about current inventory needs and quality standards, and restock Store products from designated stock in workshop areas
- Update the Store’s page on the FGTC website with current inventory and Store news
- Create and maintain product ads on local listing site(s) of choice (such as Craigslist or LetGo)
- Answer the phone and assist callers with a wide variety of Free Geek related questions
- Assist with keeping our store clean and accessible with aisles as wide as possible
Strategic Store Responsibilities:
- Develop a sales strategy that will both benefit the local community and provide funds necessary for supporting Free Geek’s mission
- Organize sales events that will attract new customers and give Free Geek more visibility
eBay Sales Responsibilities:
- Curate valuable and niche market items for listing on our eBay account to facilitate the reuse component of our mission
- Create and maintain eBay listings including photographing, shipping items, and responding to customer inquiries
- 1+ year of retail experience
- Familiarity with running a basic point of sale system and cash drawer
- Ability to navigate the functions of eBay, PayPal, Craigslist, and other similar websites
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a positive attitude
- Working knowledge of a variety of technologies and devices
- Enthusiasm for the recycle and reuse philosophy
- Experience volunteering and / or working with a nonprofit organization
- Knowledge of basic computer troubleshooting, Linux, Windows, and MacOS
- Desire to challenge yourself, learn new things, and have fun!
- Send a resume (PDF or Word format) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sales Team Associate application” as the subject.
- Cover letter is recommended, but not required.