Our program begins with collecting computers and other electronics. We use these materials to build new computers when we can, or recycle the materials responsibly. We appreciate any financial donations with your hardware donation so we can continue our mission. All donations are tax deductible.
Examples of what we accept with NO fees:
- Computers / Laptops / Tablets (Data destruction guaranteed)
- Any circuit boards (motherboards, memory, expansion cards etc)
- Networking devices (modems, routers, switches, hubs etc)
- Keyboards, mice, speakers
- LCD/LED monitors
- Current Software, manuals, computer books
- Any type of original educational software or original games
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
- Docking stations
- Undamaged LCD/LED/Plasma TVs
- MP3 players, Walkmans, CD/DVD players, receivers, amplifiers
- Cameras, video equipment, audio equipment, lighting
- Telephones, including cell phones
- Video game consoles and video games
- Electronic toys, games, and children’s devices
- Cables, Plugs, Wiring
Small household appliances
- Blenders, coffee makers, electric kettles, other kitchen appliances
- Microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners, power tools
- Any of those broken late night infomercial specials
- Cash drawers
- Barcode readers
- Commecial radio/television equipment
- Testing equipment – oscilloscopes, signal generators etc
Items we accept with fees:
The fees for monitors and TVs with CRT/Tube, projection TVs (no fees on undamaged LCD/LED/Plasma monitors or TVs):
- <20″ $15
- 21″-25″ $25
- 26″-40″ $50
- >40″ $75
- Bare tube, broken CRT, or damaged plasma screens $15
The fees for Printers (printer fees may be waved or lowered for corporate donations, check with us for details):
- Inkjets $10
- All-in-one $25
- Large printers $45
We feel this represents the ‘at cost’ by the pound rate we receive from our recyclers and will adjust these rates when we can to keep the costs to donators down.
These fees may be waived in certain cases, most commonly for collectible electronics with integrated CRTs and testing equipment with CRTs (such as oscilloscopes).
Items we do NOT accept:
- Electronics or appliances that contain refrigerants (such as freon). This includes air conditioners, dehumidifiers, refrigerators, etc.
- Smoke detectors
- Large household appliances
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Gas powered devices such as Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers etc.
- Please contact Free Geek regarding donations of single units weighing over 75 lbs.
This list isn’t exhaustive! If you have a piece of equipment and you’re wondering whether we take it, send us a note and we’ll be happy to answer any questions.
Recycling electronics is labor intensive. The following preparations will help speed the processing and recycling of your equipment, and are appreciated but not required:
- Untangle all cords and cables. Coil them up with a rubber band or twist tie.
- Attach power adapters (AC adaptors, transformers) to their associated equipment (such as powered speakers, printers or routers) as best as you can.
For items that we do not accept or that require fees, consult these pages for alternative recycling options: