Our program begins with collecting computers and other electronics. We use these materials to build new computers when we can, or recycle the materials responsibly. We appreciate any financial donations with your hardware donation so we can continue our mission. All donations are tax deductible.
Questions? – send us a note through the Contact Us form.
- Hand Tools (Screwdrivers, Pliers, Cutters)
- Soldering tools (soldering guns, hot air guns, de-soldering guns)
- Paper (for printing spec sheets), Tape, Scissors, Rubber bands (for keeping cables neat), clear plastic inserts for binders (such as 3 ring binders – we put specification sheets inside of the inserts)
Examples of what we accept with NO fees:
- Computers / Laptops / Tablets (Data destruction guaranteed)
- Any circuit boards (motherboards, memory, expansion cards etc)
- Storage devices (hard drives, SSD drives, SD cards, memory cards (Data destruction guaranteed)
- Networking devices (modems, routers, switches, hubs etc)
- Keyboards, mice, speakers, microphones, web cameras
- Flat panel LCD/LED monitors
- Current Software, manuals, computer books
- Any type of original educational software or original games
- Antistatic bags (for safekeeping computer parts)
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
- Docking stations
- Undamaged LCD/LED/Plasma TVs
- Limit of 1 television per family per week
- MP3 players, iPods, Walkmans, CD/DVD/VCR players, turntables, receivers, amplifiers, Tivo, headphones
- Cameras, video equipment, audio/stereo equipment, lighting, gps receivers
- Cable/DSL/Satellite boxes
- Telephones, including cell/smart phones
- Video game consoles and video games
- Electronic toys, games, and children’s devices
- Cables, Plugs, Wiring
Small household appliances
- Blenders, coffee makers, electric kettles, other kitchen appliances
- Microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners, power tools, hair dryers, curling irons, irons
- Voice over IP phone systems
- Cash drawers
- Barcode readers
- Commercial radio/television equipment
- Testing equipment – oscilloscopes, signal generators etc
Note: we do not recycle any media – we only take reusable media that we can distribute to customers / volunteers
- If donating computer – any media that came with it
- Blank (reusable) CDs, DVDs, Floppies, Zip/Floptical disks
- Original media for any age games, operating systems, productivity software
- Blank VSH / Beta and audio tapes
- VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, audio tapes, etc with original content – movies / albums
- Flash drives, memory cards, video game cartridges etc
The fees for monitors and TVs with CRT/Tube, projection TVs (no fees on undamaged LCD/LED/Plasma monitors or TVs):
|Destroyed Flat Panels Any Size – LCD, LED, Plasma (dismantled / gutted)||$15|
The fees for Printers / Fax machines:
|Small Home Printers (Inkjet, compact laser, small fax machines)||$15|
|Full Size Consumer Printers (All-in-ones, mid-size laser, home copiers)||$25|
|Large printers & copiers (Commercial grade printers, copiers & faxes)||$50|
|Floor standing Commercial Printers / Copiers||No longer accepting|
We feel this represents the ‘at cost’ by the pound rate we receive from our recyclers and will adjust these rates when we can to keep the costs to donors down.
These fees may be waived in certain cases, most commonly for collectible electronics with integrated CRTs and testing equipment with CRTs (such as oscilloscopes).
Items we do NOT accept:
- Floor standing Commercial Printers / Copiers
- Electronics or appliances that contain refrigerants (such as Freon). This includes air conditioners, dehumidifiers, refrigerators, ice making machines etc.
- Electric toothbrushes
- Sewing machines
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Devices containing liquid mercury
- Large household appliances (stoves, washers, dryers, dishwashers)
- Light bulbs (Fluorescent, incandescent etc)
- Gas powered devices such as Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers etc.
- Radioactive materials
- Please contact Free Geek regarding donations of single units weighing over 90 lbs.
This list isn’t exhaustive! If you have a piece of equipment and you’re wondering whether we take it, send us a note and we’ll be happy to answer any questions.
Recycling electronics is labor intensive. The following preparations will help speed the processing and recycling of your equipment, and are appreciated but not required:
- Untangle all cords and cables. Coil them up with a rubber band or twist tie.
- Attach power adapters (AC adaptors, transformers) to their associated equipment (such as powered speakers, printers or routers) as best as you can.
- Attach remote control to the device it came with (TV, audio receiver etc) – taping works well.
For items that we do not accept or that require fees, consult these pages for alternative recycling options: