Our program begins with collecting computers and other electronics. We use these materials to build new computers when we can, or recycle the materials responsibly. We appreciate any financial donations with your hardware donation so we can continue our mission. All donations are tax deductible.
Please bring as little packaging and boxes as possible. Please recycle the boxes for your equipment through your curbside recycling program. We do not accept Styrofoam.
Recycling electronics is labor intensive. The following preparations will help speed the processing and recycling of your equipment, and are appreciated but not required:
- Untangle all cords and cables. Coil them up with a rubber band or twist tie.
- Attach power adapters (AC adaptors, transformers) to their associated equipment (such as powered speakers, printers or routers) as best you can.
Examples of what we can use:
- Computers / Laptops / Tablets (Data destruction guaranteed)
- Any circuit boards (motherboards, memory, expansion cards etc)
- Networking devices (modems, routers, switches, hubs etc)
- Keyboards, mice, speakers
- LCD/LED monitors
- Current Software, manuals, computer books
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
- Docking stations
- MP3 players, Walkmans, CD/DVD players, receivers, amplifiers
- Cameras, video equipment, audio equipment, lighting
- Telephones, including cell phones
- Video game consoles and video games
- Electronic toys, games, and children’s devices
- Cables, Plugs, Wiring
Small household appliances
- Blenders, coffee makers, electric kettles, other kitchen appliances
- Microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners, power tools
- Any of those broken late night infomercial specials
- Cash drawers
- Barcode readers
- Commecial radio/television equipment
- Testing equipment – oscilloscopes, signal generators etc
Items we accept with fees:
- CRT/tube monitors or tube TVs
Read more about specific fees here. These fees may be waived in certain cases, most commonly for working business-class printers, collectible electronics with integrated CRTs, and testing equipment with CRTs (such oscilloscopes).
This list isn’t exhaustive! If you have a piece of equipment and you’re wondering whether we take it, you might want to guide yourself by the list of what we don’t take below.
Items we do NOT accept:
Electronics or appliances that contain refrigerants (such as freon). This includes air conditioners, dehumidifiers, refrigerators, etc.
Large household appliances
Fluorescent light bulbs
Flat screen televisions larger than 50” or CRT televisions larger than 32”
Please contact Free Geek regarding donations of single units weighing over 75 lbs.
For items that we do not accept or that require fees, consult these pages for alternative recycling options: